1769, Richmond County, Virginia
This simple Palladian dwelling was built for Rebecca Tayloe and Francis Lightfoot Lee in 1769, as a wedding present from her father, who owned nearby Mount Airy. Constructed of local stone and stuccoed, the house fell into ruin during the 20th century, but is now conserved by the Menokin Foundation and open to the public. It is the site of an internationally-acclaimed “glass house” technique to demonstrate its original form.
Francis Lightfoot Lee and his brother “Light Horse Harry” Lee both signed the Declaration of Independence, the only brothers to do so.
Kit includes main house, kitchen and office buildings, and base. Main house measures approximately 7 inches square by 7 inches high. Six sheets plus illustrated instructions, $12.95 plus shipping. Available directly from the Menokin Foundation visitor center at www.menokin.org or 804-333-1776.
Skill rating: Moderate, for ages 8 and up. Adult supervision may be required.